Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Cheating, Productively

I already tried this once before.
But I guess I'll give it another shot, just because I'm such a nice blogger.
Alright, So I'll skip the tirade on how cheating is soooooo not cool, totally unnacceptable, how if you are with someone and love them you should NEVER pursue someone else.
Oops.
Well, after that tirade, let me tell you the ONLY productive cheating: On you Art.
It's a long story, even longer when you prefix it, but many times in my life I have felt very bad about writing something other than poetry, about focusing my attention in what felt like the wrong direction. But it broke through last night, as I was finishing the last of thirty pages (for the evening.)

I wasn't cheating at all.
You see, when I write different forms, be it poetry, songwriting, essays, or in this case, a novel, I use remarkably different brain centers. In the past, when I was excited about one, and I used it, I tended to ignore the other centers, the other forms. But now I know that I can, while writing a novel, take time out to jot down a few poems.
The types of writing can, and do, overlap. It isn't cheating because writing itself is one entity, and any type of writing develops a more well rounded relationship with the craft, as well as with the writer.
So, My Advice?
If you ever feel excited to write, do so. It doesn't matter if it's a limerick or an epic. Write to your heart's fickle content and when you get tired, write a different form. No harm can come out of writing a single word, I swear by it.

No comments: