Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Poetic Justice.

Okay, Poetic justice has very little, if anything, to do with actual poetry. I did some research (wikipedia) and came up with it's actual derivitives. Wikipedia states: Poetic justice is a literary device in which virtue is ultimately rewarded or vice punished, often in modern literature by an ironic twist of fate intimately related to the character's own conduct.
I personally see that our culture has transformed this meaning, due to our waning literature references, to fit actual life. Poetic justice is when you recieve a punishment fitting the crime, especially a punishment having no relation to the crime but usually compesating for it's greviousness.

Either way, I met my own poetic justice today. It's move in week in town, and I made the horrible mistake to drive. I know, why would I do such things? Unfortunately, time continues moving forward despite the fact traffic refuses to. There were two instances where I was reciting prayers for my safety of my own accord. I can be a bit of a foolish driver. But then, later that day, I got honked at for not moving fast enough in the turn lane. This SUV was really rushing to get absolutely no where.
Now, as a woman of choice words, I do not regret my to-the-point assertation of this person's character. I shouted, "What do you want, Assfuck?" startling the person I was speaking to on the phone.
And I believe it was entirely appropriate. Looking back, I laugh that perhaps that honk was a universal compensation saying 'you needed a warning, but we don't want to give it when you'll be overwhelmed. here's your free pass, everyone gets one.'
Everyone gets one.

No comments: